Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Cut About the Rest

Two walnut boards marked up for cutting
It's been a while since I have posted. I've been busy in the shop as of late, however. I got a lot of positive feedback and interest from the first cutting boards I made. For a few years I have been eager to see if I could make some money selling furniture and other things that I've made, so I decided to wade in slowly by doing some cutting boards and putting them up for sale. I decided to keep the design minimalistic, so the emphasis was on the beauty of the wood, not things like fancy handles etc.
For functionality's sake, on larger boards I decided to add a hole to make it easier to pick up and carry.
So off I went.
I bought  few pieces of walnut and also grouped together some cutoffs and scraps I had around the shop. All told I would have about 25 cutting boards. The process was similar to the one used on the furniture I'd made, only on a smaller scale. Also, to save time and make things easier, I grouped together the steps, so I would do one step at a time on all the boards.
Cut down to rough size 
You can view and buy cutting boards I've made on my etsy page here https://www.etsy.com/shop/whWoodworker. I also plan on selling at local craft fairs and festivals.
Cutting boards after cutting them to size, drilling holes, and a few rounds of sanding. They'll get one final sanding at 400 grit before a food-safe beeswax and mineral oil finish is applied. 
I designed a logo and had a brand made of it, which is placed on the underside of every board.

This is a large 15" x 24" custom walnut cutting board I made. The customer also requested a maple butterfly key.

A beautiful example of one of my live edge walnut cutting boards. I love the balance between sap wood and old on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment